Before Studies

For their application at the OTH Regensburg, international applicants need

  • a university entrance qualification
  • an adequate knowledge of German (exceptions see "English taught degree programmes"; therefore no German langauge certificate is required)

Apply now!

In our step-by-step manual we guide you through the application portal.

  • The documentary evidence of foreign formal qualifications (certificates, diplomas) must first be recognized by uni-assist for an application at OTH Regensburg (university of applied sciences)

    Uni-assist validates all your certificates and transcripts of your educational records. Please request a so-called “preliminary review documentation” (in German abbr. VPD) there. (Exceptions are applications for a Bachelor's degree programme from the PR China and Vietnam. The recognition lies in the responsibility of the particular Academic Evaluation Center – see below. Applicants from India need in addition to the VPD from uni-assist a certificate of the Academic Evaluation Center of India.) Please read the detailed information about the admission requirements on the website of the specific degree programme.

    For the application for all the other Master's degree programmes there is no VPD necessary. Please submit your certificates and diplomas of your home country translated into German or English. Each Master's degree programme has its specific admission requirements. You will find detailed information on the websites of each study programme.

    If you have already attended a preparatory college (Studienkolleg) and have passed the assessment examination (Feststellungsprüfung), you don't need a VPD from uni-assist any more.


    VPD from uni-assist (Bachelor, MEM and MEB)

    Please keep in mind that the processing time can take 4 to 6 weeks, sometimes even longer. We have summarized the most important steps in our information sheet "How to request the VPD".

    You will find information about the grading of your certificates in the information system on the recognition of international educational achievements (only available in German).

    If your VPD qualifies you directly for higher education, then the VPD proofs your university entrance qualification. You can use it in order to apply for a place in a degree programme. Please respect the application deadline!

    If you have not received your VPD by the end of the application period you can upload it via the application portal until 27 July for a winter semester or 27 January for a summer semester (only applicable for applications for Bachelor's degree programmes).


    Academic Evaluation Centre (Akademische Prüfstelle)

    Applicants for a Bachelor's degree programme from the PR Chinaand Vietnam need to upload their APS certificate including an average grade from the Academic Evaluation Center of the respective German embassy before the deadline. If the APS certificate doesn't show a grade a VPD is required.

    Applicants from India need in addition to the VPD from uni-assist a certificate of the Academic Evaluation Center of India. Please check the deadlines for submitting the APS certificate on the website of each degree programme.


    Assessment examination / Preparatory College (Studienkolleg)

    If you are not directly qualified for higher education, but only for a preparatory college (Studienkolleg), you need to sit an assessment examination at a preparatory college in order to obtain a German university entrance qualification. Over a period of two semesters (1 year) the Studienkolleg prepares students for the assessment examination (FSP) which will qualify you to apply for a place in a degree programme at OTH Regensburg. Entrance examinations in German and Mathematics are held at the beginning of February and at the end of July for admission to the Studienkolleg.

    Please apply directly to one of the Studienkollegs. In the Free State of Bavaria the FSP examination is organized by the Studienkolleg Coburg for the Universities of Applied Sciences.

    General information about preparatory colleges in Germany

    For your application at OTH Regensburg please submit your FSP certificate together with your school-leaving certificate from your home country.

    A successfully passed assessment examination also proofs sufficient German language skills. No further language certificate is necessary.

  • The teaching language in all degree programmes at OTH Regensburg is German, including those with English titles. Therefore applicants have to proof a sufficient level of German, if they have acquired their Higher Education Entrance Qualification abroad.

    Overview: Required Levels of German and All Certificates Recognized at the OTH Regensburg


    Exceptions are these degree programmes that can entirely be studied in English.

    Therefore no German language certificate is necessary.


    You can either upload the proof of your proficiency in German to your application or to your enrolment.

    There is the possibility for international OTH-applicants to pass the "Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang" (DSH) and other German proficiency exams at the ZSK of the University of Regensburg. 

    In order to gain the required language level, a preparatory German language course might be useful.

  • If you haven’t reached the required level of German language skills yet, a preparatory German language course might be interesting for you.

    OTH Regensburg closely cooperates with the Center of Language and Communication (ZSK) at the University of Regensburg, who offers German as a foreign language (DaF). The courses start from level B2. A course fee of 530 € per semester needs to be paid.

    In order to register for a course, please send these documents to the International Office of the OTH Regensburg:

    • VPD via uni-assist (recognition of certificates) qualifying directly for higher education or admission to a Master's degree programme at OTH Regensburg
    • Proof of German language skills (at least B1 with the result "very good" or "good") – there is a list of all accepted certificates on the website of the ZSK (see “placement”)
    • Registration form, filled-in and signed
    • Proof of payment of the course fee (for refugees in most cases a copy of the ID card is sufficient)

    You cannot register for the courses for the winter semester 2023/2024 any more.

    Please send the documents for the registration for the courses in the summer semester 2024 via e-mail to anmeldung_df(at) Deadline is 23 February 2023.

    The courses will be from 17 April until 19 July 2024.

    As soon as you have submitted all required documents, you will receive an informal e-mail confirming your application, which includes useful infor­mation about the enrolment and further steps to take.

    If you need a formal letter of confirmation (e.g. for your visa), please let us know. Please be aware that the letter can only be issued if the required documents for registration are completely submitted.For some countries (e.g. Iran), an admission is additionally required for the visa application. Only in this case you have to additionally apply for a study place - only for the visa. For most countries, however, a confirmation of German course attendance is sufficient. In this case please do NOT apply for your desired degree programme via the online application portal yet.

    German courses with costs are also offered by the Volkshochschule Regensburg (TestDaF) and by a number of language schools.

    Please note that students from non-EU countries are only allowed to take on a holiday job during their first year of stay while they are participating in the preparatory language course! They are not allowed to work during the semester.

  • OTH Regensburg offers three degree programmes that are entirely taught in English:

  • Online Portal for Applications

    If you want to study a degree programme at OTH Regensburg University of Applied Sciences you need to apply for a university place. Please use the online portal during the application period and upload all required documents (as PDF files) directly. You will find the link to the portal and all detailed information such as deadlines and admission requirements on the website of each degree programme under application info. (You can access the page of your desired degree programme by searching in the degree programme overview). There you will also find the deadlines for submitting the pass certificates of assessment examinations  and the VPD (for Bachelor applications).

    After you have sent your application documents you will automatically receive a confirmation of receipt via e-mail. You can use this confirmation for your visa application. Please note that processing a visa application can take several months! Please inform yourself about the visa requirements in your country before applying! We cannot issue conditional admission during the application process.

    It is possible to apply for more than one degree programme.

    For details about course contents and the selection procedure, please contact the responsible academic counsellor. You can find the specific contact persons on the website of each study degree programme.

    If you want to apply for a higher semester, please apply for a first semester in addition.

    After the application you can see the status of your application in the portal.

    If you have any questions about your application documents please contact the Admissions and Organization Office.


    Course Allocation

    There is a limit to the number of places available for some of our degree programmes (so-called NC-programmes), so applicants will be selected based on their average grade obtained in their higher education entrance qualification. In the international quota there are places reserved for applicants

    • who are non-German or stateless and not nationals of a Member State of the European Economic Area (EEA) and
    • who have not obtained their university entrance qualification in Germany or at a German school abroad.

    In terms of entrance requirements, no distinction is made between EEA nationals / foreign nationals with a German university entrance qualification, and Germans.

    Nationality is relevant for admission. If there are two nationalities and you are aiming for the quota for foreign course applicants, then only the non-German nationality may be given.

    5 % of places are reserved for international applicants. Applicants are selected according to their level of qualification, waiting times are not credited. Applications for recognition of hardship cases cannot be considered.

    Hochschulstart will send out the admission and rejection notifications by e-mail for a winter semester from the end of July to the end of August and for a summer semester from the end of January to the end of February.



    If you received an admission letter and would like to enrol at OTH Regensburg, you first have to accept the place of study and then apply for enrolment by uploading all the documents mentioned in the admission letter within the specified deadline. After your request for enrolment has been processed, you will receive some notifications and (if you provided a mailing address in Germany) you will also receive your student ID card by post. If you have not provided an address in Germany, you will be able to pick up the student card at the Admissions Office after arriving on campus.  

    For degree programmes with restricted admission (NC programmes), you will need to accept the place of study both on and in the application portal of OTH Regensburg. Please respect the deadlines! If you do not accept the place of study within the deadline mentioned in the admission letter, you will lose it. If your programme does not have an NC, you only need to accept the place of study in the OTH application portal.

    Admission notices are only valid for one semester and admission or enrolment can not be deferred. So if you are unable to start your studies in the semester you received admission for (for example due to visa issues), you will need to apply again.

    Please read all the e-mails from the Department of Studies! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the International Office.

    After the first enrolment at the university, students must re-register for the continuation of their studies for the second and all following semesters.


    Missing German Language Certificate

    If you have got a place in a degree programme, but the proof of German knowledge is missing, you can usually switch to a preparatory German language course for the same semester. You cannot keep your place in the degree programme. You have to apply again in due time.

  • Every student can download the login data for his or her RZ account from the online portal a few days after enrolment (RZ = Rechenzentrum).

    With this account and password, you can

    • log into IT systems in computer rooms at OTH Regensburg and the University of Regensburg (CIP-Pools)
    • use your personal OTH e-mail account
    • use your personal storage space on the OTH drive (G:\)
    • access the OTH drive (VPN, WLAN) and use the e-learning platform

    Please register right away for the e-learning course information for international students!

    In order to use the printers in the CIP-Pools, you need to put money on your student ID card at one of the validation machines.

    If you have any questions or problems, please contact the info point.

  • On the website of the Federal Foreign Office you find information about visa regulations. We haven summarized the most important aspects.


    No visa required

    EU nationals and nationals from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Israel, the USA, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Andorra, Honduras, Monaco, San Marino, Brazil and El Salvador do not need a visa to enter the Federal Republic of Germany.


    Student visa

    Students from non-EU countries (except for Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Israel, the USA, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Andorra, Honduras, Monaco, San Marino, Brazil and El Salvador) must apply for a so-called student visa before they can enter the Federal Republic of Germany. These visas can be obtained from the German diplomatic representation (embassy, consulate) in the home country or current country of residence.

    Please note that processing a visa application can take several months! Please inform yourself about the visa requirements in your country before applying! That's why you should contact a German diplomatic representation (the list is only available in German) as soon as possible!

    Your admission notice is the basis on which you can apply for a student visa. Your entry to Germany should be planned for the date on which you are required to appear at OTH Regensburg as shown in your admission notice. Before granting a visa, the German diplomatic representation will ask for further documents such as proof of financing and evidence that you have health insurance. You should ask the German embassy or consulate where you currently reside exactly which documents you must present.

    If you change your study programme during your studies, you need to inform the Foreigners’ Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) at an early stage. If not, your stay is illegal!

    Applicant visa

    If you are planning to take a German course at a language school in Germany in preparation for studying here, i.e., you have not yet been issued with an admission notice for a university to support your visa application, you can still apply for an entry visa as a prospective student. You should ask the German diplomatic representation (the list is only available in German) in your home country exactly what requirements you need to meet (confirmation of registration with a language school, higher education entrance qualification, proof of financing etc.).

    Under no circumstances should you come to Germany as a tourist or visitor! A tourist visa cannot be converted to a student visa once you have entered the country.


    Certificate of right of residence / residence permit

    EU nationals and nationals of Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway must register with the city’s civic centre (Bürgerzentrum), if they plan to stay for more than three months. There you need to apply for a Freedom of Movement Certificate = Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung.

    Required are:

    • a residence card for nationals of EU member states and EEA countries and their family members

    • a valid passport

    • a biometric passport photo

    Non-EU nationals must register with the Regensburger Bürgerzentrum and apply for a residence permit within one week of arriving in the city. Residence permits for students are not issued until after they have enrolled.

    The following documents are necessary when applying for a residence permit:

    application for a residence title (= Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels)

    • a valid passport with entry visa

    • a certificate of enrolment from OTH Regensburg

    • health insurance certificate

    • a biometric passport photo

    • proof of adequate means of subsistence (934 € per month)

    • funds to pay fee 

    Please note: You must register with the Bürgerzentrum (Foreigners’ Registration Office, Abteilung für Ausländerangelegenhei­ten) within one week of moving into a room or apartment, stating your new address.

  • All students must have adequate health insurance coverage. You will not be able to either register or re-register at our university of applied sciences without valid health insurance cover.

    Foreign health insurance policies or private policies that stipulate a maximum amount of cover usually cannot be accepted.

    Students from countries that have a social insurance agreement with Germany (all EU countries, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland) only need the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or equivalent proof of their insurance in their home country.

    Limited insurance agreements that only cover absolute emergencies exist with Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Turkey, and Tunisia. It is advisable to take out a German health insurance policy in these cases.

    All other studentsmust purchase German health insurance. Students aged over 30 years cannot be insured at the student rate and must purchase private health insurance.

    We strongly advise you to take out personal liability insurance which will cover many of the claims for damages caused through the fault, negligence, etc. of the policy holder.


Dr. Andrea Nuißl: international-applicants(at)

For the Master Electrical and Microsystems Engineering (MEM): mastermem(at)

Open Office Hours:
Thursday, 9-11 a.m. in D 217