- choice of degree program and planning of studies
- information on pregnancy while studying
- childcare facilities in Regensburg
- legal provisions and organization of studies (academic leave of abscence, part-time studies...)
- possibilities for financial support
- consulting services in Regensburg
- difficulties within family and psychosocial problems
- reconciliation of studies / profession with educational work or nursing care
The Family Office has drawn up tis own information brochure "studying with child" for studying parents and parents, who are interested in studies. In this brochure you can find plenty of different comprehensive information.
According to Art. 48 Abs. 2 APO it is possible to take academic leave of absence for an important reason. Important infromation on leave. (Unfortunately at the moment those links are only available in german. We would like to ask for your understanding.)
There exist separate regulations for pregnant women and studying parents. Thus, as "important reason" also apply circumstances which justify maternity protection and parental leave among employees. Hence, upon application, students are granted academic leave of absence due to maternity protection and parental leave until the child´s 3rd birthday at the latest. According to the Federal Act of the Granting of Child-Raising Allowances and Child-Raising Leave (Bundeserziehungsgeldgesetz) also fathers can take academic leave of absence.
During the parental leave period, students who take academic leave of absence upon application, are allowed to attend lectures and to write exams.
Student loans (BAföG):
Important: Please inform the BAföG office immediately about your academic leave of absence. During the leave period BAföG is not paid. Most likely, child allowance period for yourself is not paid during the period for yourself either (please inquire further information of the Family Benefits Office (Familienkasse) before the leave of absence).
General Examination Regulations (Allgemeine Prüfungsordnung) (APO) of the OTH Regensburg
§ 2 Part-time studies:
(1) The studies are to be accomplished as full-time studies. The study and examination regulations of the respective degree program can provide the possibility of the permanent part-time studies.
(2) In Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programs students can in justified cases (e.g. dual degree program, internship semester abroad, parental leave –nursing own children or close relatives - disability with a degree of at least 50%) submit an application for completing a semester in part-time (individual part-time semester).
The duration of a semester in part-time is thereby one calendar year. Deadlines are extended accordingly for one semester. .
Regarding the applications:
- Applications for the part-time semester are to be submitted until the re-registration for the respective semester, at the latest or in case of the study start until matriculation, at department for studies.
- For that an informal request is sufficient.
- The decision is made by the responsible control committee (Prüfungskommission).
Student loans (BAföG):
During part-time studies student loans (BAföG) cannot be paid!
For some examinations (for example basic- and orientation examinations, repeat examinations) there are deadlines. In case they are missed through not competing it is evaluated graded with a deadline-five or as a failed attempt. Hence, please consider the information of the Examination Office (Prüfungsamt) in the case of sickness during the examination period.
In the basement of the student house there is a large family room. It should facilitate the compatibility of studies and family for incorporating university members.
So students and staff of the OTH Regensburg can bring their children aged from 0 to 12 years by the hour to the university and supervising them in the family room (alone). The room can be also be booked for group work and team meetings, while children can deal autonomously in the play area. Of course the room can also be used for breastfeeding and for feeding your child.
The room is locked. We ask you to reserve the room in advance at familienbuero(at)oth-regensburg.de or 0941/943 - 9208. The key you will get at the family office.
- Location Seybothstraße: room for breastfeeding and diaper-changing with a relaxation room, S225 (elevator, 2nd floor, then turn left twice)
- Location Galgenbergstraße, engineering building: diaper-changing table in the toilet for handicapped persons, B183
- Location Galgenbergstraße, new auditorium building: daybed in the toilet for handicapped persons, E005
- Location Sammelgebäude: diaper-changing table, U519
- Location Prüfening: diaper-changing table in the first aiders room, P011
- Location student house: Family room Y-102 and toilets in the basement
If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact Vanessa Höcherl.
- Children`s book corner in the OTH Library
- Children`s playing corner in front of the OTH-Mensa
- Family room in the student house
Of course, the toys of the Family room can be borrowed for the use in other rooms. In case of demand please contact Vanessa Höcherl.
The parents-child-group for students is offered as well as for students of the OTH Regensburg as for the students from the university Regensburg.
This offer gives fathers, mothers and children until 4 years the opportunity to get in contact together, to exchange and to create a space for human interaction with games and songs.
Registration is not necessary, because the participation in the parents-child-play-group is free of charge and non-binding.
When: On Wednesday, 15.30 – 17.00 o’clock (also on holiday)
Where: Family room Y-102 in the student house
Please registrate at the exchange forum for current appointments.
During easter and autumn holidays the Family Office provides a competent holiday childcare with a varied program for children at the age of elementary school (in exceptional case younger and/ or older). Laboratory demonstrations and lectures for children, creative activities and games are offered for the children, while parents can dedicate themselves to their studies or their work during the lecture periods.
Dates and notifying information you will find at "Dates and news" on the start page of the Homepage of the Family Office in time.
The Family Office offers plenty of different events around the topic family-friendly campus:
- Information event "studying with child" (each semester with the work group "Family-Friendy-Campus"
- Taking part in the exhibition for family in the Donau-Einkaufszentrum
- Summer- and Christmas celebrations
- Lectures for parents
- Lectures to nursing
Notes to the events can find at "Dates and news" on the start page of the Family Office in time.
Members of the OTH with family responsibilities can get, through registration in exchange forum (eLearning) into contact with each other and for example sell or give away things that aren’t needed anymore or share information. In addition, you get here all the latest announcements of family offices or network partners.
Admission is possible at any time with the NDS account for all members of OTH and University of Regensburg.
The Student Union for Niederbayern / Oberpfalz (Studentenwerk) (Stwno) provides studying parents with child / children up to the age of 6 years a free kid’s menu in the cafeteria. They can choose a main dish and a side dish/ soup/ dessert from the daily offer.
The menu is “paid” with the kid’s menu mensacard. This card can be received in the Mensacard Office upon presentation of a copy of the birth certificate and an enrolment certificate.
The cafeteria also provides highchairs for children.
The workgroup "Family-Friendly-Campus", which is a cooperation between the Family Office of the OTH Regensburg, the Family Service of the University of Regensburg and the Student Union for Niederbayern/Oberpfalz (Studentenwerk), is trying to create a comfortable place for all OTH Regensburg members with family affairs. Thus, all of the offers can be used and they complement each other.
Mrs. Jauch, social counseling: especially consultation on student loans (BAföG), living with children
Mrs. Hopper, Family Service: including holiday childcare, babysitter agency, godparents-grandparents
Family signpost of the Federal Ministry for family, seniors, women and youth.
Family guidebookof the StateInstitute forearly childhood education (Staatsinstitut für Frühpädagogik)innine different languages.
Lots of useful information on the topic family. So-called letters to parents, which give advice and provide assistance for the period of 0 - 18 years, are also offered. Another new feature is a day nursery guide.
Information onpregnancy, family law, birth, financialassistance etc.
"For fathers. From fathers."
The Center Bavaria Family und Social Issues (Zentrum Bayern Familie und Soziales) informs, inter alia, about services according to the Federal Act on Parental Allowance and Parental Leave (Bundeselterngeld- und Elternzeitgesetz), services according to the National Act on Child Benefit (Landeserziehungsgeldgesetz) and the new regulations on care allowance.
The Student Union for Niederbayern / Oberpfalz (Studentenwerk) provides information on financial support for studying parents at a glance.
Online comment on several laws in the area of social benefit law by Prof. Dr. Schneider-Danwitz of the OTH Regensburg.
Brochure “Social Security at a Glance 2014“ ("Soziale Sicherung im Überblick 2014") for download.
Information of the Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit) for parents who want to make use of an additional child benefit.
Overview of financial assistance and services in Bavaria.
Online parental allowance calculator and further information on parental allowance and the application process.
Unemployment benefit (ALG) 2 calculator and further information
- Application of financial assistance for education, sports, school supplies, school trips, music lessons:
- BUTT education and participation package (Bildungs- und Teilhabepaket) of the city of Regensburg, btl(at)landratsamt-regensburg.de
- Mothers in need (Mütter in Not e.V.) 0941/5999132
- Social and Sports Foundation of the Municipal Utilites Regensburg (Sozial- und Sportstiftung der Stadtwerke Regensburg), Tel. 0941/601-2090
- Orphanage Foundation Stadtamhof (Waisenhausstiftung), Administration of the Foundation of the city of Regensburg, Tel. 0941/507-2546
Advice andhelp-Thefamily guideof thecity of Regensburg as well as information on childcare facilities. Furthermore, thecityoffersan overview of possibilities for changing diapers and for breastfeedinginvarious facilitiesandshopping centersin the city including an overview map.
List of all childcare facilities in the district of Regensburg including a fee overview.
List of important topics and contact points in the district and the city of Regensburg.
Women`s guidebook of the citiy of Regensburg, e.g. with information about "Women and Family", various contact and advisory council points etc.
The Coordinating Child Protection Center (Koordinierende Kinderschutzstelle KoKi) supports parents in stressful situations (e.g. personal overload, unemployment, single parents, lack of support within the family, etc.). The service is free of charge.
The family workshop (Familienwerkstatt) is an association, where various professions cooperate interdisciplinarily. Among others there are the following offerings:
- PALME: Preventive parent training for single mothers in Regensburg.
- Group for children of separated or divorced parents: for children at the age of 8 - 12 years.
- Heroes travel: training for children and adolescent at the age of 12 -15 years for the reduction of aggression.
Family counseling in the case of separation and divorce in Regensburg.
Information on pregnancy, counsenling in conflict situations during pregnancy, local counseling services but also financial assistance.
"Wellcome"-volunteers now also help families in Regensburg: The" Wellcome "-Angels come once or twice a week for about two to three hours to the families’ homes. Thus, the families are supported in their everyday life for about three months. The assistants help, for example, with caring for a newborn or they take care of siblings. Sometimes it is only about providing support for parents so that they have a person who listens to them or can provide practical assistance.
Costs: Commission 10 Euro, support max. 5 Euro / hour - possibly financial support can be provided.
Patrons of the nationwide project are the German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Family Minister Christine Haderthauer.
Advice and information on the topic studying with child.
Information and experience reports about studying abroad with child.
The ERASMUS program also promotes "special needs". On the pages of the DAAD you can find information on the promotion and reports about stays abroad of students with child.
In the following urban, confessional and private providers of leisure activities are listed:
Office for municipal youth work (Amt für kommunale Jugendarbeit)
(also offers a holiday program)
Sports Office Regensburg (Sportamt Regensburg)
(also offers a holiday program)
District Youth Office (Kreisjugendamt)
Natural History Museum East Bavaria (Naturkundemuseum Ostbayern)
Am Prebrunntor 4
The young vhs of the district of Regensburg (Die junge vhs des Landkreis Regensburg)
Pommernstr. 4, 93073 Neutraubling
Children and Youth Farm Regensburg(Kinder- und Jugendfarm Regensburg)
LEOlingo - Language Camp for children in the Pindl Gymnasium in Regensburg
Tel.: 09181/904 755
Multigenerational house Regensburg (Mehrgenerationenhaus Regensburg)
(for example, hotel for children, theater for children, pottery classes, family breakfast ...)
For your information we have compiled some links to services close to home in and around Regensburg. We do not issue guarantee for the immediacy, accuracy and completeness of the links and the content of the pages available under the links. This particularly applies if the links point to external pages of other providers, whose content we do not adopt as our own.