Information for refugees and asylum seekers

As far as the admission to a degree programme is concerned, you are treated just like any other international student applicant: You need to have a higher education entrance qualification and a sufficient level of German.

In order to attest your higher education entrance qualification, your certificates from your country of origin have to be recognized. Therefore you need to apply for a preliminary review documentation (so-called “Vorprüfungsdokumentation” = VPD) at uni-assist. There is no free application process for refugees anymore since January 2020.

On our pages for international applicants in Bachelor degree programmes you find further information about the recognition of foreign certificates.

Syrian school leaving certificates with an average better than 70 % should allow an easy access to studies in Germany, especially the scientific branch. On the internet platform Anabin [only available in German] you can see which certificates allow access to certain study programmes in Germany.

Please note that in some Bachelor degree programmes places are limited (Numerus Clausus).

For international applicants the international quota is relevant.

Applications for Master degree programmes may differ from the process explained above.

Certain German language skills are vital to most programmes offered at OTH Regensburg. If your German is not sufficient yet, you may attend a preparatory German language course (“studienvorbereitender Deutschkurs”), starting with level B1+ upwards. For refugees course fees can be financed in line with the budget by a DAAD support programme accessible via the International Office of OTH Regensburg. 

onSET is an online language test, which is free for refugees. The test allows you to find out about your current proficiency in English or German. This may help you to find a matching language course and gives you a proof of your proficiency.

For registration for a preparatory German language course the "onSET for refugees" certificate is accepted, but you have to do a placement test at the ZSK of the University of Regensburg not later than one week before the course starts.

Preparatory German language course

According to current information, living costs during the German courses may be financed by the Jobcenter (valid for the jobcenters in the Regensburg Region). Each case needs to be handled individually.

Refugees in a preparatory German language course of level B2+/C1 have the opportunity to apply for an educational loan.

The Garantiefonds-Hochschule of the Otto-Benecke-Stiftung offers financial aids during the study preparation.


Degree programme

1. Educational loan

Students in a Bachelor's or Master's degree programme have the opportunity to apply for an educational loan.

2. Grants and scholarships

There are only a few grants and scholarship programmes who explicitly address to refugees. The Federal Ministry of Education and research offers a data base where you can look for them. The information about the different programmes is only avalaible in German.

Some examples of these programmes are:

For information about grants and scholarships in general please contact the Career Service under careerservices(at)

There is an app called Integreat which summarizes all important information for refugees and asylum seekers in Regensburg. It is available in German, English, Arabic, Spanish and Russian. It can be downloaded in Google Play Store for free and is compatible with IOS and Android.

Advice and help for refugees in Regensburg is also available via CampusAsyl.

Further information for refugees can be found on the web page of the DAAD.